Canada Student Visa


Apart from academics, Canadian life is full of diverse experiences and boasts of high quality of living. All of the above, coupled with the easy application and visa process, make Canada an ideal destination for international students. The majority of international students need a permit to study in Canada.


To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must have been accepted onto a course in Canada
  • You must be able to prove you have enough money to pay:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses
    • return transport
  • You must not have a criminal record
  • You must pass a medical examination (if required)
  • You must leave Canada before the permit expires

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If the embassy approves your study permit, they’ll issue one to you with your study permit. A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

Document Checklist

  • Police Clearance Certificates and Medical Reports
  • Academic Certificates
  • Proof of Funds
  • Official letter of acceptance from a Canadian university, college or Technical Institute
  • College/University Fees Payment Receipt
  • G.I.C Payment Receipt or Education Loan Acceptance Letter
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Other relevant certificates

English Language Requirements

ProgramsEnglish Test Score
Diploma programsIELTS – Overall band score of 5.5 with no band less than 5.0
PTE – Overall 45; no less than 36
Bachelor’s DegreeIELTS – Overall band score of 6.0,
no less than 5.5 PTE – Overall 50; no less than 45
Graduate DiplomaIELTS – Overall band score of 6.5
no less than 6.0 PTE – Overall 6.5; no less than 50
Master ProgramsIELTS – Overall band score of 6.5;
no less than 6.0 PTE – Overall 6.5; no less than 50

Financial requirements

Financial responsibility letters, from the persons funding your studies. The letter from your financial guarantors must indicate:

  • Their employment or occupation;
  • Their relationship to you (e.g. parent, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.);
  • The number of dependents they have;
  • Their full contact information;
  • Your financial guarantors must also provide a copy of their photo identification
  • (national identity card or passport).
    If your financial guarantor is not your father or mother, you must submit a copy of your financial guarantor’s birth certificate and that of your relative, in order to demonstrate the family relationship between you and your guarantor.

Proof of funds:

You or your financial guarantor must provide proof that you have sufficient funds to cover the expenses of a year of study in Canada:

  • These expenses include approximately CAD $12,000 per year for living expenses (food, housing, clothing and medical insurance) and from CAD $10,000 to CAD $15,000 per year for tuition;
  • You must therefore have at least around CAD $22,000 available for your first year of study at university and be able to show that you will have an equivalent amount for the subsequent years;
  • In addition to the above costs, you must also consider the price of transportation to Canada (from CAD $2,000 to CAD $5,000);

    The Visa officer will review the financial means of the individual who will be paying for the studies in Canada, as well as the applicant’s relationship to that person. The embassy will also examine any other source of income that can be attributed to a scholarship, personal savings, business income, etc.